Stir-fry of Chicken & Vegetables
Stir-fries are among the easiest things to make. If chopping vegetables and meat is too much, you can get help. Have the butcher at the grocery store help you dice, slice, chop the meat (that is what they are there for) and take some messy work and clean-up off your hands. I am repeatedly surprised by how many people do not have their butchers take care of the “butchery” for them. I have even bought packaged meat/chicken and asked the butcher behind the counter cut it to my liking and re-package it. It’s their job and they are usually happy to do it. Vegetables are easier to chop but if even that is a deterrent from making a home-cooked meal, you can pay a little bit more and buy packaged, pre-cut vegetables. It is way cheaper (and healthier) than ordering take-out. Another trick is to clean and chop the vegetables ahead of time (on the weekend) and store them in the refrigerator for weekday meals.
This is an easy one for busy parents who want to get home-cooked food on the table in a jiffy and adds a little international flair to your dinner table. Try it and I promise it will end up on regular rotation at your place!
Stir-fry of Chicken and Vegetables
Quick and easy one wok meal that can be made in a jiffy. Serve with white or brown rice or noodles.
Serves 2 adults and 2 kids
1/3 cup water/chicken or vegetable stock
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp red chilli flakes (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups chopped vegetables of choice (peppers, broccoli, green beans etc.)
1 1/4 lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breast cut into ½ inch cubes (have the butcher at the store do this)
handful of basil (optional)
salt and pepper (if needed)
- Whisk together water/stock, soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch till cornstarch and sugar are dissolved
- In a large frying pan or wok heat the oil. Add the chilli flakes, is using and garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Add chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes
- Remove chicken and fry the vegetables for 2-4 minutes (depends on vegetable you are using and how much crunch you like)
- Add chicken and basil to wok and stir-fry for 30 seconds
- Pour over the whisked mixture and bring to a boil and simmer for a couple to minutes. Ready to eat!