Little children love goats and we are big fans of visiting goat farms around the Bay Area. We have been to Harley Goat Farms in Pescadero several times (love their cheeses!) and have also visited Redwood Hill Farm in Sonoma. This coming Saturday (April 20th), you don’t even have to leave the city, to enjoy hanging out with some goats – just head to the Ferry Market Building between 10 – 1 pm for CUESA‘s annual goat festival. The goat festival will take place during the regular and amazing Ferry Plaza Farmers Market, so you can pick up some wonderful spring produce while you have some fun with the goats!
Fifth Annual Goat Festival—A Celebration of All Things Goat! (information from CUESA’s website)
10 am – 1 pm: Goat Festivities
- Bring the kids to play with Redwood Hill Farm’s adorable baby goats at the petting stable in the south driveway near the Sur La Table store.
- Free goat product samples at the CUESA Classroom.
- Visit the CUESA Classroom to learn more about goat producers in the market, including Achadinha Cheese Company, Andante Dairy, and Bodega and Yerba Santa Goat Cheese.
- Taste delicious goat-inspired creations from participating stores inside the Ferry Building Marketplace.
10 – 11 am: Goat Gab!
The owner and operators of successful, sustainable, goat businesses based in Northern California, will talk about why they work with goats. This event takes place at at the CUESA Classroom.
- Jennifer Bice of Redwood Hill Farm goat milk yogurts, kefirs, and cheeses in Sebastopol
- Michael Winnike of HappyGoat Confections in San Francisco
- Sylvia Melendez of Tierra Mia Organics Raw Goat Milk Skin Therapy in Brentwood
- Donna Pacheco of Achadinha Cheese Company in Petaluma
- Liz Casdia of Laloo’s, Goat’s Milk Ice Cream
Goat-Themed Seasonal Cooking Demos
All demos will take place in the CUESA Classroom (under the white tents in front of the Ferry Building) and are free to the public, with recipes and samples for all.
Additional goat-themed events taking place this month: