Life is busy and dinnertime can be a pain (even for people who love to cook) so sometimes you need to take a break, order a pizza and focus your efforts on something fun and refreshing. We’re loving this zippy little mix of muddled blackberries, pineapple juice and sparkling water with a splash of vanilla syrup — isn’t the color amazing??. Compared to the usual choice of milk or water, it’s is a fun treat and while it’s fruity tropical flavors make you think of sunny days at the beach, it’s equally as delightful enjoyed at home on a cool spring evening. It goes without saying that this drink would be fantastic for a summer barbecue or jazzed up as a grown up cocktail. I think most kids would love the job of smooshing up the blackberries and measuring all the ingredients, too.
(makes 4 – 8oz. drinks)
- 6-8 oz of fresh blackberries (reserve 4 berries for garnishing) — you can also use defrosted blackberries
- 2 tablespoons vanilla syrup (or more to taste)**
- 2 1/2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 1/3 cups sparkling water
- Mash up the blackberries in a tall cup or bowl.
- Add vanilla syrup and pineapple juice and mix.
- Plunk in a few ice cubes and stir to chill well.
- Strain the drink through a fine mesh strainer into a four glasses and top off with sparkling water (about 1/3 cup for each drink) and garnish with the reserved berries.
… I’m already thinking of more ways to put blackberries, pineapple and vanilla together. Ice cream? Granita? Cupcakes? Smoothie? This flavor combination is super yummy!
** you can buy vanilla syrup, or make your own vanilla-scented simple syrup. To make your own, simply combine 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water in a small pot. Simmer until sugar dissolves and then add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. You’ll have enough for this recipe and some leftover which you can store in a jar in your refrigerator until you need it.
Other refreshing recipes you may like: All Natural DIY Shave Ice; Really Refreshing Lime Soda; Orange-Vanilla Creamsicle Smoothie; Mango Lassi; Kulfi: Indian Ice Milk Pops; Hero Milk (Banana-Cashew Smoothie)