Fall is in the air and we are thrilled that our favorite squash is back on the shelves at grocery stores and farmers’ markets. The delicata is delicious and easy to prepare as it requires no peeling. I know, I often shy away from other squashes as I fear peeling them (and cutting myself). This meal comes together in no time and the end product is good enough to serve to guests. Leftovers are great in school lunches as well. If you want to take it up a notch (and make it a non-vegetarian dish), the addition of a little pancetta never hurt anyone. 😉
This is seasonal cooking at it’s best and simplest, so give it a try before the delicata squash is gone…..
Delicata Squash and Goat Cheese Pasta (as featured in San Jose Mercury)
- 1 pound pasta (shape of your choice)
- 2 medium delicata squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds scooped out and cut into thin slices (about ⅛” thick)
- 1 large red onion, peeled, cut half, then into into thin slices
- ½ tablespoons chilli flakes (add more or less depending on your spiciness preference)
- 1 tbsp finely minced thyme (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 6 oz log of goat cheese, crumbled
- salt, to season water for cooking pasta
- additional grated parmesan cheese, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the thinly sliced squash, onion on the prepared cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil, red pepper flakes, minced thyme (if using) salt and pepper. Toss the squash and onion to coat them well with oil and seasonings.
- Roast squash and onions for 30-35 minutes until tender and browned in places.
- While squash and onions are roasting, cook pasta in well-salted water according to the package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Toss hot pasta with a drizzle of olive oil and the grated parmesan cheese, add the roasted squash and onion, and the crumbled goat cheese and toss again. Add pasta water a few tablespoons at a time while tossing, until the pasta sauce reached your desired level of sauciness.
- Serve immediately with additional grated parmesan.