We love rice bowls and our dinner often ends up looking like the above photograph. This meatball recipe was recently featured in the San Jose Mercury as part of a Vietnamese meatball sandwich (banh mi) and gets made a bunch around here.
Served with toothpicks, these meatballs would be great for a cocktail party as well. Since we make them in the oven, the mess is minimal. A fried or boiled egg would make this rice bowl even yummier!
Vietnamese Pork Meatballs
Makes about 24 meatballs
- 1 pound ground pork
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 or 3 spring onions or scallions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried chile flakes
- Black pepper, salt to taste
Quick carrot pickle:
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl, mix all the meatball ingredients. Using oiled or damp hands, form 1-inch meatballs and place them on on the prepared pan. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until cooked through, then broil on high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until nicely browned.
- Meanwhile, in a glass or nonreactive bowl, combine the shredded carrots (and any additional vegetables you’d like), vinegar, sugar and salt. Let the quick pickle sit while the meatballs bake.